St. Patrick’s Catholic Church
Butte’s early Catholic community built its first parish church, a temporary wooden structure just west of the current church building, in 1879. Father John Dols, the first pastor, arrived in the spring of 1881. The following year the cornerstone for a new church was laid, and formal dedication of St. Patrick’s took place in 1884. Two one-story wings were added to the original central portion in 1896, shaping the structure into its current appearance. Although exterior remodeling has somewhat altered St. Patrick’s original facade, the graceful spire and elegant Gothic arches reflect it original design.